Imade a magic wallet for my four year old this weekend (I remember playing with them when I was a kid). Anyway he loved it (….and I mean really loved it). He loved it so much he took it to bed with him. My three year old didn’t really ‘get it’ but he thought it was ace too!!
For those of you not familiar with magic wallets here’s a quick explanation of what they do. Basically the wallet opens both ways. If you pop some paper money on top of the green cross, close the wallet, and open it again, it will appear underneath the green cross. If you close and open the wallet again it will appear underneath the yellow lines.
Unfortunately, it doesn’t make brand new bank notes appear out of thin air….blast!
If you are intrigued, and want to know how to make one, please find full instructions after the jump.
There are quite a few steps in this tutorial but I promise it’s not as complicated as it looks. Once you have all your pieces ready it will take about 5 minutes to assemble.
♥ Two rectangles of cardboard measuring approx 10 x 7 cm.
♥ Four 10cm lengths of ribbon in two different colours. (Paper strips are fine, but not as durable, so reinforce strips with sticky tape.
♥ Gaffa tape or sticky tape
1) Cut eight squares of sticky tape it’s easier to do this before you start assembling the wallet. If you have electrical tape or gaffa tape then use that because it’s a bit stronger!
2) Place your first cardboard rectangle on a flat surface.
3) Lay your first two lengths of ribbon across the cardboard as shown.
4) Place your second piece of cardboard on top of the first so that the two lengths of ribbon are sandwiched between.
5) Fold the two right-hand pieces of ribbon over the top piece of cardboard and stick down.
6) Flip the entire wallet over (so that the back piece of cardboard is now the front). Repeat step 5.
7) Now open up your wallet and position as shown.
8) Place your other two pieces of ribbon on top of the right-hand piece of cardboard in a cross formation. It’s important to make sure that the left hand side of the (green) ribbon tucks under the (yellow ribbon).
9) Lift the left-hand piece of cardboard up and place over the top of the right-hand piece of cardboard.
10) Fold the two left-hand pieces of (green) ribbon over the top piece of cardboard and stick down.
11) Flip entire wallet over
12) Fold the two left-hand pieces of (green) ribbon over the top piece of cardboard and stick down.
13) Job done! Hurray!
22 Comments › Leave yours
Leave a Reply
You can read more about my latest book here!
LOOKING FOR SOMETHING?
Click here to see heaps more....